A large number of businesses today are turning to mobile apps to reach their target customers and expand their business. The reason behind businesses turning to mobile app development is the growing mobile phone user base throughout the world at an unprecedented rate. Whether it be shopping, communicating, gaming, or listening to music, mobile apps have made life easier for customers. This is why it makes sense for businesses to reach their customers via mobile apps.
When it comes to selecting the right operation system (OS) for mobile app development, Android OS dominates the mobile app development market with over 86.8% share. In spite of the size, a large number of businesses are leveraging android app development to grow their business and perk up their revenues.
What is Android OS?
Android is an open-source mobile operating system that was developed by Google to be initially used for touch-screen devices, tablets, and cell phones. Android OS is known for its huge user base and simplified mobile app development process. Today, this Linux-based OS primarily runs on smartphones and tablets. Let’s have a look at some of the unique features of Android’s OS:
- Near Field Communication (NFC): As most Android devices support NFC, it allows electronic devices to easily interact across short distances.
- Alternate Keyboards: Android supports multiple easy to install keyboards like SwiftKey, Skype, and 8pen apps and allow users to quickly change up their keyboard style.
- Infrared Transmission: The Android OS supports a built-in infrared transmitter, allowing users to use their phone or tablet as a remote control.
- No-Touch Control: With Android apps like Wave Control, users can easily control their phone’s touch-free system.
- Automation: The Tasker app lets users not only control app permissions but also automate them.
- Wireless App Downloads: Using the Android Market or third-party options like AppBrain, users can download apps on their PC and then automatically sync them to their Droid, no plugin required.
- Storage and Battery Swap: Google’s OS makes it possible to remove and upgrade the battery or to replace one that no longer holds a charge. Besides, Android phones come with SD card slots for expandable storage.
- Custom Home Screens: By downloading a third-party launcher like Nova, Apex, or Slide, users can easily add gestures, new shortcuts, or even performance enhancements for older-model devices.
- Widgets: Android widgets let users display just about any feature they choose, right on the home screen—including weather apps, music widgets, or productivity tools.
- Custom ROMs: Developers can tweak the current OS and build their own versions, which users can download and install in place of the stock OS.
Advantages of Android development
Below mentioned are some of the key advantages of Android app development that accelerates business growth. Have a glance:
- High ROI and Lower Costs: The easy availability of the Android software development kit (SDK) is one of the key advantages of Android. The Android app developers can utilize the material design from SDKs to build interactive apps. The developers are required to pay only a one-time registration fee for application distribution and after that, they can leverage any computer device to build and test the product for their smartphones. This benefits both the end-users in the form of interactive apps and the enterprise in the form of a higher return on investment.
- Quick Deployment: Existing companies or startups who wish to have a faster go-to-market for their new idea; Android offers a competitive edge to these companies as Android apps have a quick deployment cycle. Unlike other mobile platforms, Android apps can be deployed in several ways. Businesses need not depend upon a single market to distribute their applications. They can use a third-party application marketplace or form their own distribution and sales channel. In simple words, businesses can use their choice of a promotional strategy to reach their end-users through multiple channels.
- Support Multiple Platforms: With Android app development businesses are able to target multiple platforms. The use of Java as a programming language makes it simple and smooth to port the app to assorted operating systems such as Ubuntu and Symbian. As an alternative to Java programming language, Google has made Kotlin an official language for Android development. A large number of giants like Uber, Pinterest, Evernote, and many more are using Kotlin for their Android solutions. This multiplatform can be utilized to power applications that run on Android, iOS, and Java Desktop.
- Highly Versatile and Scalable: Android operating system can be integrated easily with the whole Android ecosystem such as smartphones, tablets, wearables, and Android TV. Moreover, it makes Android Apps compatible with various leading technologies including AR, VR, IoT, etc. In addition, the versatility of the Android app platform allows Android app developers to create dynamic mobile applications that can be used for multiple purposes after being installed on the device.
- Easy Customization: A large number of enterprises are leveraging Android for creating custom mobile apps that solve customer problems and increase value for their business. Being an open-source platform, Android offers maximum customization features to app developers. Moreover, the operating system enables the creation of versatile Android apps that can be integrated easily into multimedia tools and data management functions of an existing business process.
To conclude, with more than 75% of Android device users today, developing an app on this platform is a profitable option for organizations throughout the world. It can help businesses to address a higher range of audiences and gain immense popularity. For building a native Android app, businesses can outsource Android development services or hire Android developers for developing a customized application to meet their key business requirements.