India is a land of religion, and booking your tickets to India from USA will pave the way for a religious and spiritual journey. As home to various religions, including Hinduism, Islam, Buddhism, Christianity, Jainism, and more, India has so much to offer everyone. India is also the birthplace of several religions, which makes it a popular destination for people from every part of the world. Booking your flights to India is a great opportunity for everyone to explore and discover more about all these religions.
However, if you are not a religious person, you do not need to be disappointed. All the places of worship in India are much more than just houses of God. These places of worship display stunning architecture, design, and art. As some of the temples in India are centuries old, you can learn much about the country’s history here. If you are traveling to Delhi, then you are in for a treat. There are several amazing temples in the capital of the nation that you need to visit. If you are struggling to fit everything into your itinerary, then here is a list of temples that you need to visit in Delhi, anytime you book your flight tickets to India from usa.
- Lotus Temple: Constructed for the Bahá’í religion at an astounding cost of 10 million USD, this temple in Delhi opened its doors to people in 1986. The most interesting part about this temple is its acceptance of people of all religions. No matter whom you pray to or what you believe in, Lotus temple is one place where everyone is welcome. Apart from being this fantastic place, the Lotus temple is also an architectural marvel. The temple was made out of marble, and it was built in the shape of a lotus with 27 petals that are arranged in clusters of three. The temple has nine sides in total, and it is big enough to accommodate almost 2500 people at one time.
- Chhatarpur Temple: Also known as the Shri Aadya Katyayani Shakti Peetham, this temple in Delhi was built to worship Goddess Katyayani. Located at a short distance of 4 km from the Qutub Minar, this temple has a prime location. The temple displays beautiful Vassar type of architecture and also has marvelous stone carvings on all sides of the temple. Another feature of this temple is that it is divided into three sections, with almost 20 temples of varying sizes. Here you can see temples built in both the northern and southern styles of architecture.
- Swaminarayan Akshardham: Located near the Yamuna River, Akshardham is a popular temple in Delhi, and a fine example of the Indian architectural style. This massive building is a treat to the eyes and has some beautiful carvings etched into its walls. Akshardham is the perfect location to spend your time in Delhi. It is not just a temple but a great tourist attraction that tells you much about the history of religion in India. If you want to learn everything you can about religion and history, then Akshardham is the place for you. The temple displays a great blend of the past with the present.
- Yogmaya Temple: This famous temple in Delhi is located in Mehrauli, and it is dedicated to Goddess Yogmaaya. Goddess Yogmaya is considered to be a representation of the illusionary power of God, and she is also the sister of Krishna. This is yet another temple in Delhi that was supposedly built by the Pandavas. This temple has been reconstructed several times as it has faced the wrath of several invaders over centuries. Although the temple was rebuilt several times, the history associated with it is a good enough reason to visit it and learn more about India as well.
- Hanuman Temple: Mentioned in the epic Mahabharata, this is a famous temple in Delhi to visit and is located in Connaught Place. Legend has it that this temple was built by the Pandavas, and it has an idol of Lord Hanuman from when he was a child. The most fascinating feature of this temple is the crescent moon in its spire, which is rather unusual for a Hindu temple. This crescent moon in the temple may also have been the reason that saved it from destruction in the past. You might also be surprised to know that the temple has had a continuous chant of Jai Ram that was started on August 1st, 1964. The temple is located in a prime area, and you can visit it easily.
- Birla Mandir: Also known as the Laxminarayan Temple, Birla Mandir was built in the year 1933 by Baldeo Das Birla. This temple was built to offer prayer to Goddess Laxmi and Narayan or Vishnu. The temple premises also have areas dedicated to Shiva and Krishna. Another interesting feature of the temple is that it has an area for worshiping Buddha. The Geeta Bhawan located on the temple premises is the prime location where all the sermons are held. Apart from praying, visitors to the temple can also enjoy the gardens, sculptures, and fountains located on the temple complex.
- ISKON temple: Built in the year 1998, the ISKON temple is a Vaishnav temple of Lord Krishna and Radharani. The temple is located in Nehru Place, and it is one of the several other ISKON temples that are located in many other cities across the country. This temple is a part of the International Society for Krishna Consciousness, and there are other temples that you can visit as well. This temple is another beautiful and fascinating tourist spot that you can visit, regardless of what you choose to believe in or whom you choose to worship.
These brilliant temples are wonderful in more ways than one. Even though there is much to see and discover in Delhi, exploring these temples is a good way to start. By visiting these temples, you will not only learn about art and history, but you will also be able to tap into your religious and spiritual side. Whatever your interests are, get ready to explore and enjoy a journey to this beautiful country.